Follow Friday: Names

I subscribe to the weekly NEHGS e-newsletter (the e-newsletter is free to everyone and I recommend it) and mentioned in this week's issue was a name equivalency site from the USGenWeb.  The site offers the foreign equivalent of English names in the following languages: Czechoslovakian, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Lithuanian, Polish, Slovakian, Russian (inc. Georgian and Ukrainian) and Yiddish (Hebrew and Jewish).  I wish Scandinavian languages were included but as it is it is still a real genealogical treasure I had previously not known about. 

For example, I looked up my grandmother's name.  She was born in the US but her parents primarily just spoke Italian so I find it hard to believe they called her by the Anglicanized version of her name.  Italian forms listed include Gia, Giovanna, Nina and Gianvannetta.

Another site I really like that has to do with names is Behind the Name because of how thorough and detailed all the names are. 

I know Follow Friday is about spreading the blog love, but I'm expanding it to included favorite online resources (at least for this week).

Comments

  1. Leah, I sent you an email but I don't think you received it. What day will you be publishing the Mott memoir about Hawaii and Mrs. Dominis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,
    I just wrote back to you. I was thinking Sunday if that was okay with you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Popular Posts