Another Generation In America?

I have gleefully been exploring the Trumbull Co. records recently added on FamilySearch.  Among the discoveries was the naturalization information of my great-grandfather's brother.  I had never been able to figure out when he arrived in the US before this:


From there, I was able to find him arriving at Ellis Island on 2 April, 1903 on the ship Citta di Napoli.  But, perhaps the best discovery in this saga are what is written by his entry in the manifest:

"Father La Piccirella Matteo at ? NJ."
My great-grandfather's father's name was Matteo.  I had never considered that my great-grandfather and his brother weren't the first in their family to come to America, but apparently their father had also - at least for some period of time.

The only thing I cannot make out is where in America Nicola was headed when he arrived (and by extension, where his father was living).  I cannot decipher the place above, nor elsewhere on the manifest:


I'm leaning towards it being somewhere in New Jersey, though that could just as easily say "NY."  Does anyone have any ideas on what that could say?  Help please!

I did find a Matteo Lapiccirella in Walkill, Orange, New York in 1900, though no communities in that area seemed to match the above.

Comments

  1. Leah, in the first enlarged image it looks like Masello, and in the second it looks like Marrello. Both look like New Jersey to me. I googled both Masello and Marrello in New Jersey and New York but there wasn't a town by that name--at least not at this time.

    It's an exciting find even though it leaves you with another question or two.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Popular Posts