Amanuensis Monday: Second Berger Reunion

While browsing issues of The Bremen Enquirer, I found an article of particular interest.  The "Michael and Frederica Berger" mentioned are my 3rd great-grandparents.  I knew that they left a lot of descendants, and everyone mentioned is in my tree, but 226 attendees is shocking to me.

I have to wonder if anyone from my branch was there as my ancestor, Michael and Frederica's son John, had left for California many years before.  Since those who traveled a distance are mentioned, and doesn't include anyone from California, I have to think my branch was likely absent.  I wonder if they even knew about this?

It sounds like it was a wonderful reunion.  I'd love to see a copy of the group picture mentioned and know what Miss Erma Lozier (later Roederer), the family historian, gathered on the family.  I'm also curious if there were any other annual reunions.  Thus far, I haven't found a mention of any in subsequent issues.

"SECOND BERGER REUNION

Was Occasion of a Large Gathering on Bremen Fair Ground Yesterday

    The second annual reunion of the Berger family, or to be more exact, that portion of the Berger family, descended from Michael and Frederica Berger, brought together on the Bremen fair ground yesterday a company numbering 226, most of them from this vicinity, but many from a distance.  It was a typical family reunion, with a dinner ample for a regiment, music, some talks, a group picture, lots of visiting and a general good time.
    In a brief business session the following officers were elected:
    Henry Berger, president.
    Noah Lehman, South Bend, vice president.
    Miss Erma Lozier, secretary, treasurer and historian.
    Those present from a distance included:
    Michael Gingrich and daughter Alice, Reed City, Mich.
    Mrs. Philip Ewald and Mrs. Clem Ewald and baby, Abilene, Kansas.
    John Land, wife and baby and Mrs. Clinton Berger and children, Chicago.
    Jacob J. Berger sr., Elkhart.
    Otto Schwab, wife and baby, Noah Lehman, wife and son Joyce, Elmer Eslinger and wife, George Beyler, wife and son Otto, South Bend.
    Ulrey Weiss, wife and daughter Ida, Aaron, Charles and Jacob Weiss and their wives, Mishawaka.
    William Beyler and family, Plymouth.
    Rev. Philip Haney, wife and baby, Goshen.
    Charles Kline and family and Ervin Berger and family, Nappanee.
    Lawrence Conrad and wife, Bourbon."

From The Bremen Enquirer, Bremen, Marshall, Indiana; 26 June 1913; page 1.

Comments

Popular Posts