Footnote

I've had a Footnote (FREE) membership for awhile but always kind of wrote the site off because I really had no desire to sign up for a pay subscription (although their rates are certainly affordable), mainly because I already have a subscription to Ancestry and most of the info I find on Footnote I can also get there. Footnote has also always been a little sparse as far as records go that pertain to my family. I found a neat civil war picture on there awhile ago (of which I found another copy of it on Wikipedia and the Wikipedia copy was far and away a better copy), but that is pretty much it. One thing Footnote has that I think is fab and that other sites should try and emulate in some way are the member story pages. This feature is a new one (I only recently learned about it) and I have been playing with it lately. The pages are very easy to make and edit and once published are viewable by the Footnote community. So, while I still don't (and don't plan on getting) have a pay subscription to the site, the Footnote pages makes the site worthwhile. At least I can get out the information I have (through their upload feature and by writing "story pages") which opens up my genealogy to more people making connections and matches and possible info exchanges more probable.

Comments

Popular Posts