Hello!

I haven't blogged in a bit because I've been concentrating on some reading projects I've got going on right now but thought I'd get back into the blogging swing of things and introduce myself (something I never really did) as per Thomas' suggestion.

My name is Leah, I am 21 and I am from Northern California. I started this blog as a way to keep track of my research back at the end of September of last year. I've been on Facebook since day one but never really thought to look up groups related to my passion (genealogy) until last summer when I joined the Genea-Bloggers Facebook group. I kind of fell out of blogging for awhile (thanks in no small part to the holidays) and then when I came back to it I looked at the Genea-Bloggers group again, found their website and other great genea-bloggers and that's about when (February of this year) I really started to get into blogging about genealogy (something I still love!).

Outside of genealogy, I am a student and am close to earning degrees in History and English (though I also hope to do something in Political Science and French). I haven't decided if I want to go on to graduate school or not yet, but it is a possibility. In my spare time (which isn't much outside of school and work) I like to read (right now I'm working on the 1001 list, a fairly daunting task!) and I also like to travel (genea-vacations are the best!), cook Italian food, eat Italian food, watch TV (Antiques Roadshow is one of my favorites and it is a big dream of mine to be on the show- or at least go to one of their appraisal events) and movies (I like "classic" movies best of all, my all-time favorite is The Best Years of Our Lives).

Since starting this blog it has turned into more than a research journal and really focuses on everything and anything genealogy related that catches my attention, like my different projects. Right now I'm working on some family history books, a family recipe book, a one name study on my Jackman family, and I'm also toying with different ideas as to overhauling my genealogy website. I also love SNGF, a weekly challenge/meme from Genea-Musings, and like to do genealogy research on my favorite authors.

As far as genealogy goes, I am mostly interested in (and mainly blog about) the western United States and the "Rust Belt" which is where most of my family is from. Northern California, Michigan, western Ohio and eastern Pennsylvania is where I focus my research but I also have family from Iowa, Kentucky, New York, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Maine, Indiana, Illinois, Colorado, Kansas, Massachusetts and some other states. Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are Canadian provinces which I am genealogically interested in also. As far as Europe goes, I'm interested in Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Great Britain, Ireland, and Italy. My main family surnames are listed on the side-bar of my blog but I'll repeat a few here too: Shinn, Croad, Lapiccirella, Daccia, Berger, Allen, Healey (Haley), and Wellons. If we share any surnames please do contact me!

If you are reading this from the Jamboree in Southern California then just know that I am extremely jealous (maybe I'll make it to the event next year) and that the Genea-Bloggers group is the best and well worth joining! I love getting comments and e-mails (you can also friend me on Facebook, the link to my profile is on the sidebar of this blog) on what I post and also love discovering new genealogy blogs so if you have one or are thinking about starting one, you've already got one fan right here! Cheers and happy ancestor-hunting!

Comments

Popular Posts