Commons Photo Challenge


Hallow'een greeting.
From the New York Public Library
(I know, the picture has nothing to do with the challenge. 
But, it is almost Halloween and mentions tracing your lineage
 so I kind of had to post it.)

I was inspired by Kerry Scott of Clue Wagon with this post to recheck a resource I'd long forgotten about, Flickr.  A (very) brief look at this blog reveals the fact that I rarely, if ever, post pictures.  Part of it is simple laziness but part of it also stems from the fact that I'm a bit controlling about my family photos and prefer to share them on an individual basis.

But I do agree with Kerry about how photos really help to jazz up a blog and I was especially struck by what she said about how the right photo can even inspire a post.  Taking that to heart, I'm going to challenge myself (and anyone else who wants to play along can as well).  The challenge is thus:
  • Go to Flickr and find a picture either in the public domain or released under a creative commons license and post the picture with an accompanying article having to do, in some way, with said picture.   Some of the institutions that have pictures in the Flickr Commons are here and includes the likes of the Library of Congress and NARA.  You can also check out Flickr: Creative Commons to learn more about photo copyright policies and for more, non-institution photos. 
I'm going to try and do this as a once a week thing, but that is just me.  If anyone else wants to partake feel free to make up your own rules. 

Not only will this challenge add more imagery to this blog but I'm hoping it'll inspire me to write and research on topics I haven't really touched on yet. 

(Note: you don't have to register at Flickr to view the photos, but you apparently do have to register if you want to use their "share" feature to post the picture to your blog without downloading it to your computer.)

Disclosure: I am in no way affiliated with Flickr, it's parent company Yahoo! Inc. or any other companies and organizations under the Yahoo! Inc. umbrella.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Popular Posts