Surname Saturday: Riccia

This Surname Saturday is going to be a little different because I know so little about this person.  She is my great-grandmother, (Maria) Nicoletta Riccia or Daccia who is number 11 in my ahnentafel.  What I do know about her:

She was born in Foggia, Apulia, Italy on 25 Feb 1891/2, probably in Vieste.  She married Giuseppe Lapiccirella on 13 Aug 1913 probably in Vieste.  They arrived at Ellis Island on 4 Sep 1920.  They lived in Warren, Trumbull, Ohio for the remainder of their lives.  Giuseppe became Joseph and he died on 8 Aug 1973.  Nicoletta died on 10 Feb 1987.  She is buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Warren, Trumbull, Ohio.

I don't believe Nicoletta or Giuseppe or any of their children born in Italy became US citizens (except through marriage), though Giuseppe and one daughter did at least begin the process of naturalizing. 

My grandmother always said her mother's (Nicoletta) maiden name was "Dutchi."  But the nearest I could find to that is Dacci(a).  However, upon closer examination of Nicoletta's arrival record, she lists her name as Riccia.  I don't know who is right, but since it was Nicoletta's last name I'll have to side with her for now and say Riccia.

So that's it, everything I know about my Riccias is summed up above.  I recently order some microfilm and when it comes in I'm hopeful that it will tell me a little more about this mysterious family, until then I wait...

As always, sources available upon request.  If connected PLEASE contact me! 

Comments

Popular Posts