Saturday Finds: October 24th to November 6th

Not much genealogy got done these last two weeks so this will be pretty short...

Internet Finds:
  • Lincolnshire Marriages 1837+.  I learned about the website here and spent most of my (limited) free time recently playing around with it. 
  • Dorset OPC.  I've been a fan for years and it was one of the first places I looked (and actually found!) information on some of my more frustrating Dorset ancestors.  Anyone with Dorset roots is sure to find something useful here.
  • Somerset OPC.  Like Dorset above, a very valuable site for anyone interested in Somerset genealogy. There are other OPC sites available besides these two, see here.  
  • A Vision of Britain Through Time.  One of my favorite websites, I'm surprised I haven't written about it before. Whenever I want to learn more about a village or town where an ancestor lived, this is the first place I check. 
Blog Posts:
  • None.  I practically have abandoned my GoogleReader in the last couple weeks.  I'm sure many excellent blog posts have been published in the last two weeks and I look forward to reading them all soon.
Online Books, Papers, Articles:

  • BCG Sample Works.  Not only do they give you a good idea as to what the BCG might be looking for (if you're interested in certification), but I found them all incredibly informative reads.  I've read The Maternal Line of Elizabeth (Niesz) Titus several times and have referred back to it time and again when research my Berger/Barger ancestors who followed a similar path as the author's family.  
  • Also from the BCG are their Skillbuilding articles.  I've read about a quarter of them and whenever I have some free time, I try and read another.  

Offline Finds:

  • Henrico County, Virginia, Land Patent Abstracts with Some Plat Maps by Selena Mayes DuLac.  This is really more of a want than a find.  The author was at the California Family History Expo last month but I never got a chance to speak with her.  I'd love to learn more about the books (I know of there being three volumes) and possibly buy them, but don't know where to look (has anyone heard of these and/or know where to find copies?  I know some libraries have them so maybe a lookup is the route I need to go...).  The books have twice won the Donald Mosher Memorial Award for Colonial Virginia Research.  

Closing Tip:  It is a pretty well known tip to look at the neighbors of an ancestor on a census record in the hopes of finding a familial connection.  One thing I've started doing however is to look at how close an ancestor was to a state or county line.  I've had several ancestors who fall under this category and have been having success looking for the same or similar surnames the next jurisdiction over.

Comments

Popular Posts