"1) What year was your paternal grandfather born? Divide this number by 100 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your "roulette number."
2) Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ancestral name list (some people call it an 'ahnentafel'). Who is that person?
3) Tell us three facts about that person in your ancestral name list with the 'roulette number.'"
I came up with number 19, who is Mary Stokes Croad (1867-1923). Mary is on my paternal side which I have spent less time working on than my maternal branch. Hence, my knowledge of Mary and her family is limited. But, I can tell you three things about her:
- Her parents were from Somerset, England but moved to southern Wales where Mary's father worked in the coal mines.
- Mary was born after her parents came to Wales and was fluent in both English and Welsh.
- Mary, her husband and children arrived at the Port of Philadelphia on 19 June 1892 on the ship Ohio out of Liverpool. Their destination was Michigan, where Mary lived until her death in 1923.