Comparing WWI Draft Registration Records

Although my great-grandfather was still in Italy during WWI, his brother, Nicola, was in the US.  Nicola filled out a draft registration card which I found on Ancestry.com:
WWI Draft Registration Card for Nicola Lapiccirella from Ancestry.com
If you are able to read that, then you're a superhero.  I sure couldn't.  Well, parts of it that is, like the most important part: 'Nearest Relative.'  I was able to make out the fact that Nicola had listed his brother (my great-grandfather), as his "nearest relative" but the rest of the section was a blur.

This discovery occurred some years ago.  I was disappointed but then filed it away and moved on... until this evening.  This post by the Ancestry Insider inspired me to look for Nicola's card at FamilySearch.

Bingo:
WWI Draft Registration Card for Nicola Lapiccirella from FamilySearch
The FamilySearch image is a thousand times better - and best of all is the fact that it gives credence to something I was told but had no proof of: my great-grandfather served for Italy during World War I.  Under my great-grandfather's name is his address:
Thank you so much, Ancestry Insider!  Now I really do have to investigate Italian military records...

Comments

Popular Posts