Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Advent Calendar 16 Dec: Christmas at School

What did you or your ancestors do to celebrate Christmas at school? Were you ever in a Christmas Pageant?

We would have "holiday parties" at school (usually a potluck lunch thing) but never Christmas events and we never had the traditional pageant either.  Honestly, when I was little I was so wrapped up in my birthday, Christmas and going on vacation from school to really pay attention to any holiday activities that were going on (I went to a non-traditional school until high school so participating in most of the events and goings-on was optional and therefore, easy to ignore).  We did do "gingerbread parties" at school where we would make gingerbread houses.  I remember one year I made a candy "security camera" for my gingerbread house and a reporter from the local paper was there and thought it was so cute that I got a mention in my local paper.  I think I was about five or six and it was my first time "in print."  I still have the article somewhere...  I don't know that my parents or ancestors did much for Christmas at school, if they did I've never heard about it (yet).

1 comment:

  1. Christmas parties were always fun for the mothers and teachers to pull off. I never heard of "potluck" parties, but that sounds great. Different times, and different places. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!