(Belated) Advent Calendar 18 Dec: Christmas Stockings

Did you have one? Where did you hang it? What did you get in it? Do you have any Christmas stockings used by your ancestors?

I have/had a stocking since my first Christmas and it has been the same one all along.  It was originally my mother's and was given to her as gag one year.  It is red with white trim and is enormous and definitely the biggest stocking I've ever come across.  Because it was my mother's her name is written in glitter on one side and since it is mine now, my name is written in glitter on the other side.  When I was either a newborn or a year old my mother put me in the stocking and took a picture (which I am having trouble finding!).  Although my parents' home has a fireplace and mantle, we always propped our stockings up on the living room couch and would go through them there on Christmas.  I think we chose that because we kind of wanted to keep the stockings and the presents in the same room and also because the fireplace is located in the far corner of the family room and is therefore not very comfortable to gather around. 

Things that are small, awkward to wrap or edible end up in the stocking.  Hair clips, candy, makeup and costume jewelry usually end up in my stocking.  We also like to get exotic foods and put them in each other's stocking.  For instance, this year I got some Shepard's pie mix and hot sauces for my father's stocking.  Because mine is so big I'll also get DVD's (from the discount bin, usually never more than $10 dollars, the more expensive DVDs go under the tree) or cheap paperbacks.  Little jigsaw puzzles are also pretty popular to put in stockings and when I was little, I always liked finding one or two of those in my stocking.  I wish I did have some stockings which belonged to my ancestors but sadly, no one in my family (that I know of) has any like that.

Comments

Popular Posts