DAR Proof of Service Troubles

So, I started yesterday's genealogy fun by casually stopping by the DAR site to see if I could get any more information on my Moses Jackman.  Before I knew it I was thoroughly entrenched and blew a whole day trying to find proof of service for two of my Revolutionary War Patriot ancestors. And, I wasn't even planning on joining DAR!

Here is my dilemma:

For Moses Jackman, he appears in several published works (some sourced but none of them with sources on Moses' service) and he appears in DAR's Abstract of Graves of Revolutionary Patriots.  I've even seen a recent picture of his grave and there is, what looks like, a DAR decoration near the headstone.  Moses isn't in the Patriot index on DAR's website so that is no help.  There are several service records for a Moses Jackman and none overlap which makes me think they are for the same person, these service records also match up with what was written about him in those unsourced published works.  But none of this is proof of his service.  All any of it is is a collection of service records which might be connected, a bunch of unsourced books and an index of graves that DAR admits isn't reliable.  But there is one other thing, Moses signed a document throwing his support behind the Patriots.  I know it is him, he was the only one of his name in that place at that time, but is that enough to connect this proof of service to Moses?  I highly doubt it.  And, if he applied for a pension he didn't get it because I've never been able to find one.

Next up it is Anne Coles Mott.  Her service during the war is mentioned in every biography of hers (and there are a lot of them) and it is legendary in my family.  She is even rumored to have received a quilt from the grateful Patriots she nursed (though I've never seen it).  Since she didn't serve in a military capacity, I don't even know where to begin looking for her proof of service.  In affidavits or letters written but soldiers treated by her?  But where would you  find any of those...

Oh, and to make matters even more fun, neither of these two are already in DAR's listings of approved Patriots.  Sheesh, I hate it when people won't cooperate with me- especially when they've been dead two hundred years.

If anyone has any experience with DAR or ideas on where to look for proof of service for these two problem children ancestors, I'd appreciate it so much I'll come to your house tonight and make you dinner.

Comments

  1. Leah
    I might be able to help you out with your DAR information. Im a member of the DAR in West Virginia. On your Moses it might be as simple as he is't proven as person who fought in Rev War. All you have to do is to be able to prove that he either fought or gave aid.
    I will check on the lady ancestor with my regent from my chapter she should be able to help you out.
    patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about what constitutes proof. My relative Roswell Hurd is not listed in the DAR but his two brothers are listed (Robert Hurd and Isaac Hurd). In Robert's pension application, he testifies under oath that Roswell (as well as his other brothers) fought in the Revolutionary War. Roswell's pension application was rejected BUT the court/government (?) determined that he had served even though there wasn't enough information in his application.

    Would Roswell's connection to Robert be enough for my admission to the DAR? The family bible which indicated his birth was burned in a fire according to court records.

    Any help you could provide would bemuch appreciated!
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Popular Posts