19th Amendment and My Family Tree

I have no suffragists in my family tree, that I know of that is.  But I do seem to have quite a few ancestors who appear on the voter rolls soon after the passage of the 19th Amendment.  I am proud of them because even if they didn't have a hand in the passage of the amendment, they clearly supported it and exercised their civic duty as soon as they were able.  So in honor of the 90th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment:

(California granted women's suffrage in 1911 and some individual counties granted it even before then.  California ratified the 19th Amendment on Nov 1, 1919, the 18th state to do so)

Ancestors first appearing on the 1920 California Voter Rolls:
"Miss Gladys Healey of 1508 Alameda ave., stenographer"  My great-grandmother, Gladys would have been twenty-one at the time and was living in Alameda, Alameda, CA

"Mrs. Engeline C. (Petersen/Pedersen) Nielsen, 1508 Alameda ave., housewife"  My great-great-great-grandmother, she would have been fifty-five and was living in Alameda, Alameda, CA

"Mrs. Emma (Tock) Shinn, farmer, R D 2, Bx 74, Lodi"  My great-great-grandmother, she would have been sixty-one and was living closest to the town of Woodbridge, San Joaquin, CA

Ancestors first appearing on the 1918 California Voter Rolls:
"Mrs. Mary G. (Mott) Healey, 12 Henry st., Housewife"  My great-great-great-grandmother, she would have been sixty-six and was living in San Francisco, San Francisco, CA

Ancestors first appearing on the 1916 California Voter Rolls:
"Miss Georgia Wellons, school teacher, Edgewood (Siskiyou Co.)"  My great-grandmother, she would have been twenty-six at the time.

Ancestors first appearing on the 1912 California Voter Rolls:
"Susana Berger, 744 E. Twentieth st., fem, housewife"  My great-great-grandmother, she would have been sixty-three at the time and was living in Oakland, Alameda, CA

Ancestors first appearing on the 1910 California Voter Rolls:
"Mary Anna (Webb) Wellons, housewife, Yreka (Siskiyou Co.)."  My great-great-grandmother, she would have been forty-eight.

I only wish I had voter rolls from other states, especially Michigan (which was the 2nd state to ratify the amendment - yay Michigan!) so that this list would be more thorough.  Next FHC trip, I'll try and order some films!

Comments

Popular Posts