This week's challenge:
1) List your 16 great-grandparents (actually, by my calculations it would be 16 great-great-grandparents) in pedigree chart order. List their birth and death years and places.
2) Figure out the dominant ethnicity or nationality of each of them.
3) Calculate your ancestral ethnicity or nationality by adding them up for the 16 - 6.25% for each (obviously, this is approximate).
4) If you don't know all 16 of your great-grandparents, then do it for the last full generation you have.
5) Write your own blog post, or make a comment on Facebook or in this post.
1. John Grant Allen, 18 May 1869, Niles, Trumbull, OH - 27 Sep 1955, Jackson, Jackson, MI. 1/2 SCOTTISH, 1/2 IRISH.
Married on 18 May 1890 in Wyman, Montcalm, MI to
2. Marion Wood, Feb 1871, Summit, Jackson, MI - ?, probably Manistee, Manistee, MI. 1/2 SCOTTISH, 1/2 CANADIAN English (orig. GERMAN, SCOTTISH and ENGLISH)
3. Frederick Rendle Croad, 12 May 1865, Sydling St. Nicholas, Dorset, England - 27 Sep 1932, Lakeview, Montcalm, MI. ENGLISH.
Married in July 1885 in Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales to
4. Mary Stokes, 16 Apr 1867, Pontypridd, Glamorgan, Wales - 26 June 1923, Lakeview, Montcalm, MI. ENGLISH
5. and 6. Unknown parents of Giuseppe Lapiccirella, Vieste, Foggia, Apulia, Italy. ITALIAN
7. and 8. Unknown parents of Maria Nicoletta Daccia/Dacci, Foggia, Apulia, Italy. ITALIAN.
9. Heman Doyle Shinn, 8 Dec 1853, New Jersey - 4 July 1928, Lodi, San Joaquin, CA. 3/4 ENGLISH, 1/4 IRISH
Married on 8 Dec 1874 in San Joaquin Co., CA to
10. Emma Sophia Tock, 27 Jan 1859, Charlotte Co., New Brunswick, Canada - 11 Apr 1928, Lodi, San Joaquin, CA. ENGLISH
11. Lauren Everett Healey, 27 Aug 1873, Newark, Alameda, CA - 11 Feb 1959, Santa Clara Co., CA. ENGLISH (and a little FRENCH and DUTCH)
Married 21 Oct 1896, Mt. Eden (now Hayward), Alameda, CA to
12. Kathryn Nielsen, 25 Nov 1875, Mt. Eden, Alameda, CA - 12 Mar 1918, Alameda, Alameda, CA. DANISH
13. John William Berger, 17 Aug 1841, Bremen, Marshall, IN - 12 Dec 1891, Oakland, Alameda, CA. GERMAN
Married 9 Dec 1866 in Evansville, Vanderburgh, IN to
14. Susanna (von)Allmen, 9 Feb 1849, Olney, Richland, IL - 11 June 1932, Stockton, San Joaquin, CA (buried in Oakland). SWISS
15. George Washington Wellons, Jan 1849, Pulaski, KY - 1 Feb 1932, Yreka, Siskiyou, CA. ENGLISH (note: Wellons was orig. Llewelyn, a Welsh name)
Married in June 1878 in Durango, LaPlata, CO to
16. Mary Anna Webb, 25 Jan 1862, Lawrence Co., IN - 12 May 1926, Yreka, Siskiyou, CA. ENGLISH and possibly 1/4 NATIVE AMERICAN.
So that breaks down to 2 (partially) SCOTTISH, 3 (partially) IRISH, 1 (partially) CANADIAN English, 6 ENGLISH, 1 (partially) ENGLISH, 1 DANISH, 1 SWISS, 1 GERMAN, 4 ITALIAN and a smidge of FRENCH, DUTCH (from New Amsterdam era of New York) and maybe NATIVE AMERICAN (this is a family rumor which has yet to be proved or denied). I am mostly Italian and English. Growing up, my Italian ancestry played a big role in my family, moreso than any other branch, so I think that is why I identify with my Italian heritage more than anything else when it comes to the European side of things. If I want to break it down to states (based on where each branch settled from more than a few generations), I am mostly a Michigander and a Californian.
Out of all these, I consider myself a Californian first and foremost.
Thanks for making my Saturday night a fun one, Randy! =)