SNGF- Ultimate Genealogy Goal

This week's SNGF has to do with our ultimate genealogical goal. I can honestly say that this is something I have never really thought of and because of this, it took me awhile to sit and think about what my goal would be. My ultimate genealogical goal is actually multi-part but the bottom line is that I want to chart my family history as thoroughly and accurately as possible for my descendants and relatives. Within this "bottom line" are these smaller goals:

  • I want to put together a book covering all the descendants of James Jackman, colonist of Newburyport, MA.
  • Put together a fully sourced and documented book covering my ancestry
  • Share my findings with all my relatives
  • Find pictures of all of my grandparents and great-grandparents.
  • Visit my ancestor's homelands, including: Italy, the UK, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Ireland and stateside locations in Michigan, New England, Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Iowa, Oregon, Indiana, Illinois, etc.
  • I've got some pipe dream goals too like eradicating all the mis-information that is running rampant with some of my lines (especially my Masons) and, of course, breaking down all my brick walls and taking all my lines back to the stone ages.

I'm hopeful that I've got another forty years at least (I'd be 61) to work on these goals (and longevity runs in my family). I work on my goals inch by inch each year, but I have not made research my top priority nor do I expect to any time soon (work, social and school responsibilities prohibit this). Though I do think that by the time I retire and have more free time for genealogy I'll have gotten a pretty good head start! I guess if I wanted to achieve my goal now, I'd have to quit blogging, social networking in general, my job, school, and most of my social life... the next time I talk to my parents I'll let them know that is my new plan, I'm sure they'll be thrilled.

I'm sure ten years from now my goals will be different, though I don't think the bottom line will ever change... Thanks for an interesting and thought provoking Saturday night, Randy! =)

Comments

  1. Because you have made a good start and have started young, I'd say you have a good chance of achieving your genealogy goals. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Popular Posts