SNGF: Matrilineal Line

1) List your matrilineal line - your mother, her mother, etc. back to the first identifiable mother. Note: this line is how your mitochondrial DNA was passed to you!
2) Tell us if you have had your mitochondrial DNA tested, and if so, which Haplogroup you are in.
3) Post your responses on your own blog post, in Comments to this blog post, or in a Note or status line on Facebook.

This week's challenge from Randy was just the kind I like.  I always like the Saturdays where he has us trace a line or ahnentafel number and this week it is especially fortuitous because I didn't do a Surname Saturday post today.

1. Me!
2. My madre!
3. My grandmother!
4. Georgiana Wellons
29 April 1891, Klamathon, CA/OR border; 26 Sep 1985, Lodi, San Joaquin, CA
5. Mary Anna Webb
25 Jan 1862, Lawrence Co., IN; 12 May 1926, Yreka, Siskiyou, CA
6. Priscilla Mason
3 March 1822, IN (probably Lawrence Co.); 16 May 1863, Marion Twp., Lawrence, IN
7. Nancy Moore
?; ?

Nancy is my brick-wall and probably the person that I have spent the most time researching this year.  Unfortunately, for all my research I haven't gotten anywhere.  What is known about Nancy: she married Samuel Mason in Wayne Co., Kentucky on 14 April 1806.  According to her children, Nancy was born in Tennessee, Pennsylvania, North Carolina or Kentucky.  She probably died in Lawrence Co., Indiana where she and her family moved to from Kentucky in the 1810s.  Based on some things I've found and heard, I believe Nancy was Native American or Melungeon. 

I have not had my mtDNA tested though I would love to!  There are so many mysteries with Nancy and I think taking the test might clear some things up.  I'm especially eager to take the test since Moore is considered a core family by the Melungeon DNA Project.

Comments

Popular Posts