Mappy Monday: My Family in 1930

I've taken an unexpectedly long break from my 'Census Sunday' series but hope to get back to it soon.  In the meantime, I've started making maps showing where my ancestors were for each census.  I also wanted to study what kind of neighborhoods they lived in to get an idea as to what the culture of the community was.


View Ancestors in 1930 in a larger map

330 E. Addison St., Jackson, MI
Working-class neighborhood, most residents Michigan natives.  Several people in the neighborhood work for the railroad, others factories, my great-grandfather was a lineman for the telephone company.  They were renting.

657 2nd St., Warren, OH
Built in 1910.  Four bedrooms, 1 bath.  Most immediate neighbors are Italian, also Czech and Finnish immigrants on the street as well.  Just about everyone works for the steel mill.  My great-grandfather was a tailor (he later went to work for the steel mill, Copperweld Steel, as well).  They were renting.

Shinn Family Farm, San Joaquin Co., CA
Just about everyone is a farmer or laborer (including my family).  Most everyone is from California, though quite a few German immigrants.  They owned their own home and farm.

411 A St., Petaluma, CA
When my grandmother and her family lived here it was the parsonage for the Methodist minister - I couldn't believe it sold for over $900,000 recently!  3 bedrooms, 2 baths.  Not much of an immigrant population.  Variety of occupations (and more than one minister - did they plan it that way?!).  Middle-class.  They were renting.

208 W. Washington Ave., Jackson, MI
Apartment building.  Not much of an immigrant population.  Variety of occupations, my third great-grandfather was working as a prison guard.  The building is sandwiched between the county clerk and city newspaper.

1400 Vine St., Manistee, MI
Most seem to work for either a boat factory or iron works.  Large Polish population.  

Croad Family Farm, Mecosta Co., MI
Exact location unknown.  Not much of an immigrant population.  Most everyone is either a farmer or laborer, including my great-great-grandfather.

1377 Broadway, Alameda, CA
No longer standing, present home build in 1936.  Working-class neighborhood (my great-great-grandfather was workin in a lumber yard).  Not much of an immigrant population.  They were renting.

1434 Everett Ave., Oakland, CA
Built in 1925.  Not much of an immigrant population.  Middle class, variety of occupations.  My great-great-grandmother owned the home.

Gold St., Yreka, CA
Exact location unknown.  Most everyone is from California or Oregon.  My great-great-grandfather was renting.

1626 Versailles Ave., Alameda, CA
Built in 1928 (I wonder if my ancestors were the first owners).  Besides my 3rd great-grandparents, not much of an immigrant population.  Mix of occupations.  They owned the home.

For a lot of my ancestors, this is the first time I've looked at their neighborhoods.  I found it pretty enlightening and I'm curious to see what, if any, changes in patterns I'll find as I go back each decade.  I used zillow for the property information above.



Comments

  1. Love this idea! I just started my own Census Sunday posts, now I want to do this one as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so interesting to see where ancestors were in relation to each other. Nice idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Popular Posts