|Gideon G. Berger (center) with mother and sister|
Likely at the family home of 536 E. 21st St., Oakland
Before the war Gideon was working at Camp Fremont. Built in 1917, Camp Fremont trained National Guard troops for combat in case the US went to war. Located in the Menlo Park/Palo Alto area, Camp Fremont was closed after the war ended. The Presidio continued to serve as a vital military base until 1994 when it was transferred to the National Park Service. Gideon's father was a veteran of the Civil War, and his sons would be veterans of World War II.