SNGF: Giving Thanks

This week's mission via Genea-Musings:

"1) Think about the answers to these questions: 
a. Which ancestor are you most thankful for, and why? 
b. Which author (book, periodical, website, etc.) are you most thankful for, and why? 
c. Which historical record set (paper or website) are you most thankful for, and why?"

For a. I would have to say my great-grandmother, Georgiana Wellons Berger.  Not only did she record her memories of her childhood and relatives, she saved tons of pictures, postcards letters, papers, etc.  She even collected pictures and bits of information from her family members and saved a lot that pertained to her husband's family.  She was also a long time member of the Siskiyou County Historical Society and made sure that the love she felt for her hometown was passed on to later generations.

For b. I'm going with anything and everything having to do with the National Genealogical Society.  I finally joined last July and have been reading anything and everything from them I could (and enjoying the many videos on their website).  Joining has been one of the best "genea-decisions" I ever made.

Part c. is an easy one: U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 from Ancestry.com.  Released just in time for Veteran's Day, it provided me with service information on many relatives and it gave me a date I had long been searching for, the death date for me great-grandfather.

Comments

Popular Posts