SNGF: Family Increase

This week's SNGF is to:
1) Pick one of your four great-grandparents - if possible, the one with the most descendants.
2) Create a descendants list for those great-grandparents either by hand or in your software program.
3) Tell us how many descendants, living or dead, are in each generation from those great-grandparents.
4) How many are still living? Of those, how many have you met and exchanged family information with? Are there any that you should make contact with ASAP? Please don't use last names of living people for this - respect their privacy.
5) Write about it in your own blog post, in comments to this post, or in comments or a Note on Facebook.

I honestly don't know a lot about my paternal relatives and their other descendants.  I actually knew one of my maternal great-grandparents and she made sure all her descendants kept in touch and remained close.  This is the branch that still holds family reunions so I can probably list off memory who all the descendants of that great-grandparent are.  But, I want a bit of a challenge so I picked another maternal branch (actually my mother's mother's family). 

Since I don't use any genealogy software (I have several online trees which I work in and then back up in MyHeritage Family Tree Builder or Legacy) I'm doing this by hand:

Rev. Gideon Gottlieb Berger (1885-1965) and Georgiana Wellons (1891-1985) are the greats I went with.  They had:
Children: 3 (two living, one deceased)
Grandchildren: 7 (all living)
Great-grandchildren: 8 (plus 1 adopted, all still living)
Great-great-grandchildren: 4 (I believe a fifth is on the way and the adopted great-grandchild has a baby)

So in all, there are 23 living descendants (21 in you only count biological descendants).

All of the great-great-grandchildren are under the age of 5 so obviously there are no great-great-great-grandchildren yet.  While doing this exercise on this family I realized just how much longevity there is in this branch- something to look forward to hopefully!  I plan on doing this exercise for a few other greats too- thanks for a fun Saturday evening activity, Randy!

As a completely unrelated aside, I had some more Saturday Night Fun in the form of the movie Where the Wild Things Are.  I have no memory of ever reading or being read the book but my mother says she did and that I wasn't too fond of it...  In any case, the movie is good and I highly recommend it! 

Comments

Popular Posts