SNGF: Most Unique Name

This week's SNGF thanks to Genea-Musings is:

1) What is the most unique, strangest or funniest combination of given name and last name in your ancestry? Not in your database - in your ancestry.

2) Tell us about this person in a blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a comment on Facebook.

3) Okay, if you don't have a really good one - how about a sibling of your direct ancestors?
 
First off there are my ancestors Charles Wood and Diadame Beam who, if they had hyphenated their last name would have been the "Wood-Beams." If I go way back I've also got a couple of "Swift-Wings."
 
The prettiest name combination, I think, are the "Mary Pollys" in my tree.  I've got a series of relatives and ancestors named Mary Polly- isn't that a nice first name?  I'm also fond on Hermosa Florita Wellons because she was named after two rivers in Colorado the family lived nearby when she was born.
 
For most confusing name combinations there is Jeremiah Vardaman Hudson.  This line is a bit of a brick wall and as yet, I have yet to find what significance the "Vardaman" in his name holds.  There is also Jeremiah's brother Ranter William Hudson.  Is Ranter just an odd given name?  A family name? What?  It certainly is unique...

For best name for their occupation combination there is Gottlieb.  It is my great-grandfather's middle name and is German for "God's love."  Considering the fact that he was a minister, the middle name really fits him.

The most unique, to me, though would have to be my great x 3 grandmother, Engeline Christine Petersen/Pedersen.  Engeline was Danish, born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany bet. 1856 and 1858.  She came to the US to the Port Clinton area of Ottawa, Ohio where she had family around 1871.  She married Niels Christian Nielsen in Ottawa Co. in 1874 and they moved to Mt. Eden (now Hayward), Alameda, CA not long after.  They had three daughters who reached maturity, Kathryn, Carolyn and Lillian.  Kathryn was my great-great-grandmother. 

Near as I can figure Engeline is just a Scandinavian/Germanic version of Angeline.  My reasoning for this is the film Der blaue Engel (The Blue Angel).  I just think Engeline is a pretty and pretty unique name.  My Engeline's name is sometimes misspelled as Anglina so perhaps she tried to Americanize her name later- or maybe the census taker just couldn't wrap his head around "Engeline."

Comments

Popular Posts